Friday, March 18, 2011

What Now?

The meeting being canceled may be a good thing. Give everyone a chance to step back, get centered and perhaps rethink their positions. 
Did we dodge a bullet?
Were we granted a reprieve? 
Or are we all standing around, weapons drawn, and still looking for a fight?
What almost happened here could still happen here; or maybe this was enough to convince the people of Stockbridge that there are those who would quash their votes, silence their voices and move on with their plans.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing.
Not that what happened here is inherently evil - just bad manners, bad planning and bad thinking, but you get the idea. Still it was in fact, wrong. 
Where do we go from here?
Well, now, that's entirely up to you. But here's your opportunity to NOT stand by and let an insidious wrong take root. Be good men (and women of course) of good moral fiber and integrity. Withhold your trust until it's earned. Stand up for what you believe in your heart to be true. Support those individuals who are like-minded and put some steel in your back bone. 
Have the courage to stand for what you know is right and good for you, for your neighbors and for the Village as a whole. 
Learn to communicate with each other; learn to compromise but never compromise your character; rather, agree to meet somewhere in the middle with your beliefs intact. 
It won't be easy. There will still be a hue and cry and alot of foot stomping and gnashing of teeth. No one said it was easy to have the courage of your convictions. If it was easy there wouldn't be any wishy-washy people on this planet (and there are quite a few).
We answered the call to arms, now we have to stand ready. 




 

4 comments:

  1. Brainwashing? No, not brainwashing, instead we are awakening from a deep and dreadful passivity. Something that has nearly bankrupted this Village both financially and emotionally. We must stay awake folks, find out for ourselves, don't believe the gossip, rumor, and innuendo; listen with our ears open and our mouths shut; be polite, reasonable and respectful and most importantly seek the truth, always seek the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m running out of options and places to turn to… so I am making a plea here on social media to all of you who may be reading and/or writing this blog… My name is Sarah Brunette, I recently opened ACME Antiques in Downtown Stockbridge.

    We recently applied for the Rent Abatement Program generously offered by the SDDA. To our surprise the application was rejected via letter on March 1st, 2011 citing that we are not eligible as we are not considered to be a new business. I am experiencing great difficulty in getting my voice heard an obtaining a definition of what IS to be considered a new business (i.e. rental agreement date, LLC filing, turning on the OPEN sign etc.). I’ve scoured all the documentation regarding the program but to no avail.

    I’ve left numerous messages for both the Village President and SDDA chairperson to please share with me the criteria used to define a “new business” and give me direction on the process for appeal. I have yet to hear from either.

    Additionally, I attended the March 7th village meeting and expressed my concern and intent to appeal personally at the March 16th SDDA board meeting directly to the village council, but was once again was met with disappointment as I learned via the village website that the March 16th SDDA meeting was postponed and I was not listed on the published agenda. The SDDA did hold a “finance committee” meeting on March 14th to discuss the NEW business loan program but I was unaware of that meeting nor was I on that agenda.

    In a final effort of communication I composed an email on March 15th to all parties: Village President, Council Members & SDDA Board Members pleading for some CORRECT direction as to the process for appeal. I have yet to hear from anyone in the matter.

    However, I have been assured by the village clerk that I will absolutely be included on the currently scheduled SDDA meeting for March 23rd. However, you can understand my skepticism as after 3 weeks of avid attempts I have received no communication from anyone on any councils in this matter.

    I understand there are many pressing issues currently being addressed in the Village of Stockbridge. However, business pertaining to the actual businesses must be addressed as well.

    Although I have lived in the Village of Stockbridge for over 10 years I have never been much for following politics until now. I am asking as a resident and business owner in our beautiful village that the parties of government please put aside their differences and take care of the business as it pertain to businesses at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why no response to Ms. Brunette's plea as I'm assuming you are part and parcel of council?

    ReplyDelete